Opponion Forum Index
RegisterSearchMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Hispandering: What about all the great things illegals do?
Post Hispandering: What about all the great things illegals do? 

You know, it seems everywhere I turn nowadays that Americans are always complaining about the increase in illegal hispanics sneaking into this country and how they are leeching off of the American taxpayer, getting free healthcare, and taking jobs that no Americans will do short of $12.00 an hour. Frankly,I disagree with this opinion and think we are overlooking the POSITIVES of this cultural influx. I would like to take a minute to examine a few of the future positive aspects of an increase in the hispanic populace in America.

One: Mexican food. Mexican food is already cheap( and pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself )but imagine how cheap it'll be when every other restaurant in America has a name starting with "EL" or "LOS?!" I'm talking ten tacos for a dollar people. And what will that do to "American" cuisine you ask? It'll become a delicacy. You just watch. I'm going to open a hamburger stand in ten years and charge $8 a burger. Know why? Because at McDonald's it'll only be McTacos and McRittos.

Two: I don't know about you but I NEVER tire of a good mariachi band and to think that I'll be able to hear them in elevators and waiting rooms really gets me pumped up.

Three: Lowriders. Lowrider cars are pretty cool. I mean, who doesn't dig a car that can hop up and down and do a three-wheel motion. Now imagine that EVERY taxi cab and mass transit bus is rigged with rims and shag carpet..Sweet.

Four: Homeless people in Atlanta have become rudimentary and boring. I am tired of the usual scruffy guy in fingerless gloves, asking me for bus fare and drinking mouthwash out of a motor oil bottle in his coat. I wanna see guys laying under the highway overpass in Sombreros and those big woven blanket shirts.

Five: Pinatas. (<--sorry, my American keyboard doesn't support the accent mark) When was the last time you were showered with candy from the anus of a paper mache' goat on your birthday? It's been decades for me and honestly, I miss it. Especially if the candies are caramels. MMmm caramels.

So as you can see my American friends, illegal immigration is really a "glass is half full" kind of issue. It just depends on how you look at it.

Salsa and chips for all.

Sangrias for all as well... OLE!

Post Re: Hispandering: What about all the great things illegals d 

mr_bunk wrote:
One: Mexican food. Mexican food is already cheap

Before the illegals, ever heard of a restaurant chain called Taco Bell? So you have to have the illegals to get authentic Mexican cuisines.

mr_bunk wrote:
Two: I don't know about you but I NEVER tire of a good mariachi band and to think that I'll be able to hear them in elevators and waiting rooms really gets me pumped up.

Again, you have to illegals to get a good band?!

mr_bunk wrote:
So as you can see my American friends, illegal immigration is really a "glass is half full" kind of issue. It just depends on how you look at it. .

Well, my friend - a law is a law. If you don't like it, change it. But as long as it is there, sorry, no way around it. If you choose not to enforce this law, why should you then enforce other laws? Sympathy doesn't go very far in the court of law.

Post riiight 

So you consider Taco Bell to be authentic mexican food? I suppose Chef Boyardi is traditional italian food in your eyes.

As for Mariachi bands, I didn't say you needed illegals to get good music, I said the MORE illegals you have, the more mariachi music you get. Which for me, is a plus. I like Mariachi. You don't. Sorry to hear that. Maybe if more Polish people move here you'll get the additional Eminem you so desire.

Lastly, interpreting sarcasm isn't your strong suit I see but regardless of that, the illegals continue to come and no one seems to be doing anything about it so you might as well enjoy the positives.

The positive effects of imigrant culture (and not just Mexican) are a good reason to change the laws surrounding imigration, but not to ignore them. I agree with Frasier that no amount of good cultural influence accounts for the fact that illegal immigration is illegal. I'm not saying the laws shouldn't be changed, but as long as they are in place, they shouldn't be broken just for a decent taco or a swell mariachi.

I found it to be very enlightening... thanks for the chuckle!! Laughing

Post Re: riiight 

mr_bunk wrote:
So you consider Taco Bell to be authentic mexican food? I suppose Chef Boyardi is traditional italian food in your eyes.

That is not my point. My point is that you don't have to have illegals to get authentic foreign cuisines. If you think that authentic foods or Mariachi bands the illegals bring in are enough to justify their stay, tell your congressmen or senators to change the law.

Like everyone else, I like what the illegals have brought to the country. Everyone is benefiting from the low prices we pay everyday. I have no sympathy for those Americans who whine about losing their jobs because the illegals work for cheaper wages. BUT, if we have a law saying you can't do one thing, then you can't do it until the law is changed.

I have heard recent reports (including today's NY Times) that the tighten the CA border is having an effect on the illegals. A lot of farmers have to let their crops rot since they can't find enough Mexicans to harvest them.

Post Re: riiight 

Frasier wrote:

That is not my point. My point is that you don't have to have illegals to get authentic foreign cuisines.

Exactly...like how we got Italian food.

Frasier wrote:
Like everyone else, I like what the illegals have brought to the country. Everyone is benefiting from the low prices we pay everyday. I have no sympathy for those Americans who whine about losing their jobs because the illegals work for cheaper wages.

Whoa, speak for yourself! I don't like a damn thing the illegal immigrants have brought to this country. Prices are only superficially lower; the long-term costs simply are not worth it. Why can't you have sympathy for someone who wants to live in a community but has their job taken by a migrant who lives under a different set of economic rules, doesn't pay taxes, etc? Just because someone's bending of the law allows them to work for less and survive doesn't mean that they are harder-working or a better employee or a better citizen than the other person.

Frasier wrote:
I have heard recent reports (including today's NY Times) that the tighten the CA border is having an effect on the illegals. A lot of farmers have to let their crops rot since they can't find enough Mexicans to harvest them.

They they should PAY DECENT WAGES so that local people take the jobs. That's how capitalism works, friend. If you need the labor, you pay the cost to hire people; if you don't, then don't grow the crops until your labor situation is sorted out.

Everything illegal immigration has brought to this country is bad, especially this ridiculous skewing of what good economics is.

I like the part where everyone responded to hilarious sarcasm with very serious arguments. I can just imagine your very serious faces as you shake your heads while typing about mariachi.

For my two cents, I can't understand why we have ANY national policy about illegals aside from well, kicking them the hell out unless they register for citizen ship.

If you're going to make something illegal, then hell, you can't go SUPPORTING IT. This amnesty crap is ballless vote gathering and it makes us look like the immaneuverable beauracratic monster that we are...

Hey, Mexicans are great, since they work on the cheap, that's the breaks. We need cheap labor to support our economy. Though, they won't work for peanuts anymore when they have to pay big-ass American taxes...

Reason I don't like them: I just don't like paying for peoples' medical care with my tax dollars. You know who pays mine? My employer... and that shizzle comes out of my salary... (post tax).

-Krush

An awful lot of you have no sense of humor!!
Good job, Mr. Bunk!! This is great. I love someone willing to stir up some controversy.
The Mexican-blanket shirts are ponchos. Another positive as they are quite fashionable right now.
Can't wait to read more from you.

jchagan wrote:
Whoa, speak for yourself! I don't like a damn thing the illegal immigrants have brought to this country. Prices are only superficially lower; the long-term costs simply are not worth it.

Did you ever complain about the high gas prices? If you did, you would have a lot more higher prices to complain about if you kick out all the illegal immigrants. The long-term impact of higher prices of commerical products is called inflation. You bet that would be the cost of what you want to do with illegal immigrants.

Terry wrote:
jchagan wrote:
Whoa, speak for yourself! I don't like a damn thing the illegal immigrants have brought to this country. Prices are only superficially lower; the long-term costs simply are not worth it.

Did you ever complain about the high gas prices? If you did, you would have a lot more higher prices to complain about if you kick out all the illegal immigrants. The long-term impact of higher prices of commerical products is called inflation. You bet that would be the cost of what you want to do with illegal immigrants.

No, I don't complain about high gas prices. I ride a bicycle or walk as much as possible and use mass transportation otherwise, like most good citizens should.

Sorry for having standards, but moral virtue wins out over greed. Could you imagine someone circa 1863 saying "Oh, but we can't end slavery, think of what the tobacco and cotton prices will rise to!!!!!!!" Extreme example, you say? Really? Both systems (slavery and illegal immigration) cheat the economic system, deriving illegal benefits for the select few who look to rationalize their illegality.

Furthermore, your economic impact is all hyperbole. First, if you read a basic economics textbook, inflation is dependent of a multitude of other factors (monetization, for one) which have nothing to do with high veggie prices. Second, prices for grapes and oranges might rise, but for every illegal immigrant you lose, you gain an American citizen making a resepctable income, paying taxes, etc. Aren't you conveniently ignoring their contribution in the system since that gets in the way of your "OH MY GOD LOOK AT HOW HIGH WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR FOOD!!!"

The pure horror of obeying the law and trying to build a decent society. Forgive me.

jchagan wrote:
Sorry for having standards, but moral virtue wins out over greed. Could you imagine someone circa 1863 saying "Oh, but we can't end slavery, think of what the tobacco and cotton prices will rise to!!!!!!!" Extreme example, you say? Really?

Great analogy and great point!

jchagan wrote:
... but for every illegal immigrant you lose, you gain an American citizen making a resepctable income, paying taxes, etc. Aren't you conveniently ignoring their contribution in the system since that gets in the way of your "OH MY GOD LOOK AT HOW HIGH WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR FOOD!!!"?

Have you ever heard a trendy thing called job outsourcing? This is a global economy. If the prices are getting higher, all the farming jobs will be outsourced to somewhere else. Now, at least the farmers can make a living with the helps of illegal immigrants. If we get rid of the cheap labors and the prices get higher, where do you think Wal-Mart will buy their foods and veggies? That would take all the farmers livelihood away.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1